Minor League Monday: Week 2 of MiLB
The second full week of Cubs minor league action is complete. As a reminder, you can stream ALL FOUR AFFILIATES on MILB.TV for $40 per year. Plus you can find a discount code to save $10 (I used Pelicans). Caleb and I have been watching a lot of minor league baseball. At about $10 per month, it's well worth it.
Onto the tidbits:
The AAA Iowa Cubs are 6-5, right in the middle of their division. On Sunday 5/16, they were down 3-0 in the 9th inning, and then scored 8 unanswered runs to win 8-3. Crazy huh? As for individual players of note:
• PJ Higgins now has an OPS over 1.000 in 34 ABs.
• Cory Abbott is now at 11 IP and 16Ks. The ERA is over 4, but he's holding opponents to a .175 BA.
• Kohl Stewart is looking good, He's given up 9 baserunners in 10 innings while striking out 12. Two of those hits have been long balls, so his ERA isn't great, but he's got a tidy 10.8K/9 with a .90 WHIP.
• Cameron Maybin is off to a .391 OPS in 10 games. Not a great start for someone who figures to be outfield depth in the event of injuries this year.
• Tommy Nance has pitched in 3 games this year out of the pen. In his 6 innings of work, he's struck out 10, walked 1 and given up one hit (a HR).
The AA Smokies are now at 4-7, after dropping 4 in a row this week. For individual players:
• Miguel Amaya is still doing alright, with a season OPS that dropped to .828 in the last week.
• Tyler Payne now leads the team in OPS (.960) and R (5); he is tied for team lead in RBI (7).
• Cam Sanders is now up to 14Ks in 9.1 innings of work. He's given up 2 bombs though, but his ERA is under 3.
• Brennen Davis has still not seen any game action. Hopefully he's back soon.
• Brailyn Marquez has also not pitched yet.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The low A Pelicans are now 6-6, after a decent week. The won on 5/16 witha booming walk off home run.
• Manuel Espinoza has now started 3 games, and has a tidy 2.57 ERA
• Ed Howard had a couple hits and cut down on the massive strikeouts from the first week. Current OPS is .449
• Blake Whitney has now pitched in 4 relief appearances and has a nice 2 ER in 9.1 IP.
The Pelicans went viral over the weekend for their unique way to intake beer: the BEER BAT
South Bend Cubs
The South Bend Cubs A+ are now 4-7. I got to seem them play up in Beloit this past weekend, article to come.
• Chase Strumpf went down with an injury and hasn't played since week 1.
• Cole Roederer is off to a .561 OPS to start his season.
• Peyton Remy now has three starts, 14.2 IP and 17Ks
• Burl Carraway had a rough outing:
Hopefully he rebounds!
Play of the week:
Tennessee Smokies Shortstop Christian Donahue made this great stop and heads up play in the bottom of the 11th inning on 5/16. Tie game, extra innings, runner on second. hard smash towards left field which should end it? Donahue makes the stop to keep it in the infield, then throws to second to double off the runner who didn't make a mistake thinking the ball would clear the infield. Two great moves, one play.
Stud of the Week:
South Bend's Ryan Jensen had this nice strikeout strut after getting out of trouble in the 4th inning on 5/15:
Woooo Fire Off! Yehaw!