The third full week of Cubs minor league action is complete. As a reminder, you can stream ALL FOUR AFFILIATES on MILB.TV for $40 per year. Plus you can find a discount code to save $10 (I used Pelicans). Caleb and I have been watching a lot of minor league baseball. At about $10 per month, it's well worth it.
Onto the tidbits:
The AAA Iowa Cubs are now 9-7, after splitting their series with St. Paul. They had a nice 16-1 victory on 5/20. As for individual players of note:
• PJ Higgins was called up to the show, after putting up a .971 OPS in 39 ABs
• Sergio Alcantara had a hot week and now has a .948 OPS for the season.
• Kohl Stewart has a nice 3.38 ERA in 16 innings, with 17 strikeouts.
• Robert Stock has a nice 11Ks in 7.2 IP, over 5 appearances. 3.52 ERA overall. He had a nice 3IP 1ER 5K outing on Saturday. He'll be up at some point soon enough.
The AA Smokies split their series against Biloxi. They are 7-10. For individual players:
• Miguel Amaya cooled off. OPS now at .665
• Cam Sanders had another start filled with Ks. He's got 26 in 18.1 innings on the year. He's walked 8.
• Brailyn Marquez has also not pitched yet. Still.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The low A Pelicans went 2-4 against Lynchburg, and are now 8-10. The won on 5/16 witha booming walk off home run.
• Manuel Espinoza got hit a bit in his most recent start, but still has a solid 3.79 ERA in 4 starts.
• Ed Howard is still scooting along, has a .571 OPS on the year.
• Scott Kobos has now pitched in 6 games, 8 innings, and has not given up a run. All while striking out 14. Nice.
South Bend Cubs
The South Bend Cubs A+ are now 8-9 after going 4-2 against Dayton
• Chase Strumpf came back and hit well. OPS on the year .899
• Cole Roederer raised his OPS to .644 for the year.
• Peyton Remy now has a tidy 3.48 ERA in 4 starts and 20.2 innings.
• Burl Carraway had 2 outings in the last week, walking 3 in his two innings, He also struck out 3 and didn't allow a hit or run.
• Brennan Davis joined the team to get regular plate appearances. He went deep!
Play of the week:
Delvin Zinn had a few zingers, but the favorite was this one: